If you have installed a WiFi internet network at work or at home, you are probably familiar with the term ISP or Internet Service Provider. It’s basically referring to the company or service provider that can offer internet access to their clients or users. if you want to learn more about the function of Internet Service Provider (and how it works), then read on.
The Function of the ISP
The main function of the Internet Service Provider is to provide (and serve) internet access. However, the main function isn’t only limited to that area because they can also offer other services. When they want to expand their information distribution widely, they can provide more functions and services. So, what are the main functions of the Internet Service Provider?
- To make it easier for online-based business people when they want to sell their products in various social media platforms or in e-commerce. With this service, they can make the sales go quicker. Through online sales, they can save a lot of operational costs because these businesses people don’t have to spend a lot of money. They don’t have to own or rent any offline store.
- To provide easiness and flexibility to users when they want to access the internet based on their internet data. For example, provider A has provided 5GB of internet data service for accessing social media. Users know their own limits and they can make adjustments based on their own requirements when it comes to surfing the net. By knowing their limit, they can make adjustment to their needs.
- To act as the connector between users when they are looking for information that they need, and they can do it on the world wide web-based internet.
To provide internet access, in the form of WiFi (wireless internet depending on the strength of the signal) and also in the form of dial-up system (cable phone network functioning as the internet distributor).
- To offer internet network security and protection. After all, the internet is vulnerable to virus and other types of digital attacks, so it’s only logical that these ISP providers can provide smooth protection for the users. They generally provide antivirus as preventive measurement when there are network disruptions.
- To help each user when they are doing long distance communication, whether it’s through email, videocall, or through phone call.
How the Internet Service Provider Works
Before deciding on a specific provider, it would be better if you understand how this internet provider works. It’s pretty simple because they depend on users who send out requests for connection and access.
Provider would perform a routing of their network to the users’ devices, which can be in the form of laptops, phones, modem, or access point. Once the network routing completes, users can access the internet. Depending on each of their requirements, they can access it smoothly without having to worry about any obstruction or interference.
That’s the general facts about ISP’s function and how the system works.